Saturday, August 16, 2014

Incredible Zucchini Bread


In my forever attempt to use the insane amount of vegetables we have this summer from the CSA, I found a recipe for a zucchini bread from Danielle Walker at Against All Grain. I did modify it however so below is how I made it.

Ingredients:
2 cups of Almond Flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Sugar
1 ripe Banana
1 cup Shredded Zucchini

So I combined the wet ingredients and sugar in my mixer and mixed until the banana was homogenous.  Add the zucchini and then spices until everything is mixed well.  Finally, I added the flour 1/2 a cup at a time until everything was well mixed.  It's going to be really wet, like completely liquidy, but it works! I didnt have spray to grease my bread pan so I put about 1 tsp of vegetable oil in the pan before I added the batter (which is probably what made the outside of the bread so crispy and delicious.  Finally, add the batter to a bread pan and cook on 350 until a toothpick comes out clean (~35 mins). 

This bread is seriously delicious.  To make it truly paleo you would need to use 1/4 cup of honey instead of sugar, but I didn't have enough honey.  It's slightly sweet, but savory, and perfect for breakfast in my opinion.  Even better is, 1/10th of the bread is only 150 calories! I had two pieces (toasted) and 1/2 cup of raspberries for breakfast this morning!



Now....if you're thinking "paleo baking is gross" (which, in all honesty, it usually is), think again! This bread is so good, I want to eat it all. It's really moist and SO tasty! In order to really convince you (and myself, Josh and Knute) that this was a good recipe, I made a second recipe with "regular" ingredients.  As you can see, I definitely wasn't low on the zucchini department.


Ingredients:
1 cup Flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Butter (softened)
1 cup Shredded Zucchini

I cooked everything the same way as above except I creamed together the eggs, sugar and butter prior to adding the other ingredients.  I also decided to make muffins instead of bread this time.  I'm sure I could adjust the recipe to make them better, but they were a bit dry and just not as tasty as the "paleo" style bread.  I was really impressed. Plus, tweaking the recipe will just make them more unhealthy, so don't fix something that isn't broken, right?!




No comments:

Post a Comment